Membership Obligations for Muses
To register as a Muse on the Modern Muse website, you agree that:
- you are the minimum age of 18 or older;
- you will have only one Modern Muse account, which must be in your real name;
- you will have completed comprehensively and accurately all the compulsory fields required during your registration process.
You agree to:
- choose a strong password that is difficult to guess;
- keep your password safe and confidential;
- follow the law and the Dos and Don’ts below. You are responsible for anything posted by your account.
Membership Obligations for Users
To register as a User on the Modern Muse website, you agree that:
- you will have only one Modern Muse account;
- you will have completed comprehensively and accurately all the compulsory fields required during your registration process.
You agree to:
- Choose a strong password that is difficult to guess and keep your password safe and confidential;
- Not post any questions which are rude, offensive or inappropriate. You are responsible for the questions posted by your account;
- Follow our Safety Tips and report any content which is rude, offensive or inappropriate;
- Never share any personal information with other users (full name, school, email address, home address, telephone number, etc.).
Information about Us and Contact Details
Modern Muse is a charitable incorporated organisation registered in England and Wales with the following address: 3 Brad Street, London, SE1 8TN, and number 1171843. You can contact us by writing to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Communications from Us
You agree that we may communicate with you in the following ways:
- a banner notice on the website;
- an email sent to the email address you provided when you registered for an account.
You agree to keep your contact information up to date. Please review your personal account settings to control or limit what types of messages you receive from us.
When we use the words “writing” or “written” in this agreement, this includes emails.
In order to use certain features of the Site, you must register for an account and provide certain information about yourself as prompted by the account registration form. All the registration information you submit must be truthful, complete and accurate. If for any reason any information you submit becomes untruthful, inaccurate and/or incomplete, you agree that you will update that information to maintain its accuracy. Modern Muse reserves the right, in its sole discretion, not to publish your profile and/or information on the Site, or remove your profile and/or information from the Site, if the information you submitted is or becomes, in Modern Muse’s opinion, untruthful, inaccurate and/or incomplete.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account log-in information (including, for example, your password). Accordingly, you are responsible for all activities that occur under your account. You should notify us immediately if you suspect or become aware of any unauthorised use of your account or any other breach of security.
Posting, Sharing and Ask a Question
Modern Muse allows Muses to create a profile and post updates, which will be visible to all site users and other Muses. Users can ask anonymous questions to Muses; when a Muse posts an answer to question this will be public and visible to all site users. All content that you share or post will be public for other members and visitors to the website to see and you are solely responsible for this content, which must comply with these terms, and in particular, without limitation, the below section on “Dos and Don’ts”. We are not obligated to publish any information or content on our website. We can remove content at our own discretion, with or without notice.
Access to the Site
Subject to these terms, Modern Muse grants you a licence to use and access the Site on the basis that this licence is:
- not a commercial licence – you can only access and use the Site for your own personal, non-commercial uses (i.e., not for your business);
- non-transferable – you can’t pass this right to someone else;
- non-exclusive – other people can access and use the Site;
- revocable – we have the right to remove your ability to use the Site in accordance with these terms; and
- limited – the licence does not extend beyond what has just been described above.
The rights granted to you in these terms are subject to a number of important restrictions, particularly relating to how you access and use the Site, Modern Muse’s property that is comprised in the Site and other Members’ or Visitors’ content. In particular, you agree that your use of the Site is subject to the following restrictions:
- you shall not license, sell, rent, lease, transfer, assign, distribute, host, or otherwise commercially exploit the Site, whether in whole or in part, or any content displayed on the Site;
- you shall not modify, make derivative works of, disassemble, reverse compile or reverse engineer any part of the Site, otherwise that as permitted by applicable law for interoperability purposes;
- you shall not access the Site in order to build a similar or competitive website, product, or service; and
- except as expressly stated in these terms, you agree that no part of the Site may be copied, reproduced, distributed, republished, downloaded, displayed, posted or transmitted in any form or by any means.
Unless otherwise indicated, any future release, update, or other addition to functionality or content of the Site shall be subject to these terms. All copyright and other proprietary notices on the Site (or on any content displayed on the Site) must be retained on all copies thereof.
You acknowledge and agree that we will have no obligation to provide you with any support or maintenance in connection with the Site.
Excluding any information and content that you may provide or submit, you acknowledge that all the intellectual property rights, including copyrights, patents, trademarks, and trade secrets, in the Site and its content are owned by Modern Muse, our suppliers or, in the case of other Members’ or Visitors’ content, other Members or Visitors of the Site as applicable. Neither these terms (nor your access to the Site) transfers to you or any third party any rights, ownership or similar interests in or to such intellectual property rights, except for the limited access rights expressly set forth in this section on “Access to the Site”. Modern Muse and its suppliers reserve all rights not granted in these terms. There are no implied licences granted under these terms.
You own the information that you post to Modern Muse. You assume all risks associated with use of your information and content, including any reliance on its accuracy, completeness or usefulness by others, or any disclosure of your content that personally identifies you or any third party. You can delete any content that you post, thereby deleting its data. Modern Muse will not publish your content anywhere other than on your profile without your consent. We may edit and make formatting changes to your content, but we will not modify the meaning.
So that we can operate the Site, host and display your information and content, you grant (and confirm and promise to us that you have the right to grant) Modern Muse a licence to reproduce, distribute, publicly display and perform, prepare derivative works of, incorporate into other works, and otherwise use and exploit your Member’s content (or Visitor’s content, where applicable) on the basis that such licence is:
- non-exclusive – you and, if you let them, other people can use your content;
- royalty-free and fully-paid – we don’t have to pay you (either now or in the future) to use your content in the fashion described in these terms;
- worldwide – we can use your content in the fashion described above anywhere in the world; and
- sub-licensable – you allow us to authorise, solely for the purposes of including your content in the Site, other business and individuals to use the licence described above.
You hereby irrevocably waive (and agree to cause to be waived) any claims and assertions of moral rights or attribution with respect to your content.
Content and Links
By using the Modern Muse website or mobile app you may come across content that is inappropriate, offensive, illegal, inaccurate, or misleading. Modern Muse does not review content provided by our users and users are solely responsible for their content to comply with these terms and in particular the section on “Dos and Don’ts”. We only review content that is reported to us as inappropriate. You agree that we are not responsible for third parties’ or other Members’ content or for any damages as result of your use of it.
For the avoidance of confusion, we will not be liable for any loss caused as a result of your doing, or not doing, anything as a result of viewing, reading or listening to content on the Modern Muse website, app, or any part of the website or app. You may be able to access other sites via links from the Modern Muse website. These sites are not under our control and we are not responsible in any way for any of their content. You use those third party sites at your own risk, and should apply a suitable level of caution and discretion in doing so. When you click on any of the third party links and advertisements, the applicable third party’s terms and policies apply, not these terms.
If you provide Modern Muse with any feedback or suggestions regarding the Site or any Modern Muse services (“Feedback”), you hereby transfer to Modern Muse all rights in such Feedback. You also agree that Modern Muse shall have the right to use and fully exploit such Feedback and related information in any manner it considers appropriate. Please note that the Feedback you provide to Modern Muse will not be treated as confidential information – accordingly, you agree not to submit to Modern Muse any information or ideas that you consider to be confidential or proprietary.
Complaints Regarding Content
While respecting the intellectual property rights of our users, we require that information posted is truthful and accurate and not in violation with law.
We have a reporting function in place for site users to report inappropriate content. This reporting function is available for every profile and post. A post may be deemed inappropriate if it is untruthful, inaccurate, misleading or offensive, or otherwise breaches this agreement.
Every report of inappropriate content is investigated by Modern Muse. We reserve the right to use our judgement on what is and is not inappropriate following a report and decide what is taken off the website. Examples of action that we might take could include: removing or modifying your content, terminating your account, and/or reporting you to law enforcement authorities.
Rights and Limits
Modern Muse reserves the right to remove posts and restrict, suspend, or terminate your account should you be seen to be in breach of these terms or the law. Determining whether you are in breach of these terms is down to Modern Muse’s judgement.
Modern Muse reserves all of its intellectual property rights in the Services. For example, the name ‘Modern Muse’, the logo and other Modern Muse trademarks.
Deactivation and Termination
These terms will remain in full force and effect while you use the Site.
You may deactivate your account if you no longer wish to use Modern Muse’s services. After deactivating your account your data will be held for 30 days and you can reactivate your account should you wish to during this time. After 30 days your data will be deleted and you will no longer be able to reactivate your account.
If you wish to delete your account and all its data immediately, you may terminate your account. Modern Muse also reserves the right to terminate your account. On termination of your account, this agreement is terminated and you lose the right to access or use the services.
Dos and Don’ts
- Comply with all applicable laws, including and without limitation to privacy laws, intellectual property laws, anti-spam laws and regulatory requirements;
- Provide accurate information and keep it updated;
- Use your real name on your profile;
- Act politely and professionally;
- Answer questions posted to you;
- Keep communications through the Modern Muse website;
You will not:
- Act dishonestly or unprofessionally, including posting inappropriate, inaccurate or objectionable content;
- Post personal information (e.g. email address, home address, telephone number);
- Request personal information from other users. Children’s public details are limited to their first name, location and a profile picture; this is all that should be shared;
- Seek other means of communication with site users e.g. email/phone;
- Seek to meet other site users in person, unless an authorised event is set up through Modern Muse;
- Post experience opportunities; you may only post links to corporate webpages offering work experience;
- Use an image that is not your likeness;
- Create a false identity on Modern Muse;
- Misrepresent your current or previous job roles or education background;
- Create a member profile for anyone other than yourself;
- Use or attempt to use another’s account;
- Share or disclose information of others without their express consent;
- Violate intellectual property rights of others, including patents, trademarks, trade secrets, copyrights or other proprietary rights;
- Violate the intellectual property rights of Modern Muse, including without limitation, using the name ‘Modern Muse’ or our logos in any business name, email or URL;
- Post any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, “junk mail,” “spam,” “chain letters,” “pyramid schemes,” or any other form of solicitation;
- Post content that is harassing, abusive, tortious, threatening, harmful, invasive of another’s privacy, vulgar, defamatory, false, intentionally misleading, trade libellous, pornographic, obscene, patently offensive, promotes racism, bigotry, hatred, or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual or is otherwise objectionable; or is harmful to minors in any way.
In addition, you agree not to: (i) upload, transmit, or distribute to or through the Site any computer viruses, worms, or any software intended to damage or alter a computer system or data; (ii) send through the Site unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, junk mail, spam, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or any other form of duplicative or unsolicited messages, whether commercial or otherwise; (iii) use the Site to harvest, collect, gather or assemble information or data regarding other users, including e-mail addresses, without their consent; (iv) interfere with, disrupt, or create an undue burden on servers or networks connected to the Site, or violate the regulations, policies or procedures of such networks; (v) attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Site (or to other computer systems or networks connected to or used together with the Site), whether through password mining or any other means; (vi) harass or interfere with any other user’s use and enjoyment of the Site; or (vi) use software or automated agents or scripts to produce multiple accounts on the Site, or to generate automated searches, requests, or queries to (or to strip, scrape, or mine data from) the Site (provided, however, that we conditionally grant to the operators of public search engines revocable permission to use spiders to copy materials from the Site for the sole purpose of and solely to the extent necessary for creating publicly available searchable indices of the materials, but not caches or archives of such materials, subject to the parameters set forth in our robots.txt file).
We may change, suspend or end our services at our discretion. You agree that we have no obligation to store, maintain or provide you a copy of any content or information that you or others provide.
We give no warranties of any kind concerning the Modern Muse website. While Modern Muse makes every effort to ensure that its computer infrastructure is error- and virus-free we do not warrant that any material available for downloading from the Website will be free from infection, viruses and/ or other code that has contaminating or destructive properties. You are responsible for implementing sufficient procedures and virus checks (including anti-virus and other security checks) to satisfy your particular requirements for the accuracy of data input and output.
Although we will do our best to provide constant, uninterrupted access to the Modern Muse website, we do not guarantee this. We accept no responsibility or liability for any interruption or delay. We may change, suspend or end our services at our discretion. You agree that we have no obligation to store, maintain or provide you a copy of any content or information that you or others provide.
If we fail to comply with these terms, we are responsible for loss or damage you suffer that is a foreseeable result of our breaking these terms or our failing to use reasonable care and skill, but we are not responsible for any loss or damage that is not foreseeable. Loss or damage is foreseeable if either it is obvious that it will happen or if, at the time these terms are entered into and both we and you knew it might happen.
As noted above, we only make the Site available for your domestic and private use. If you use the Site for any commercial, business or re-sale purpose we will have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
Nothing in these terms shall limit or exclude our liability for:
- death or personal injury resulting from our negligence;
- fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; or
- any other liability that cannot be excluded or limited by English law.
The agreement is governed by English law notwithstanding the jurisdiction where you are based. You irrevocably agree that the courts of England shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute which may arise out of, under, or in connection with these terms and for those purposes irrevocably submit all disputes to the jurisdiction of the English courts. The place of performance shall be England. We provide no warranty or guarantee that the Site or information available on it complies with laws other than those of England.
You can contact us by email at: email@example.com